OK here are the two recipes for the salads I made this past weekend:
Italian Orzo Salad (From the Vegetarian Times Magazine)
1 6 oz. pack of Orzo
4 1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
1 12 oz. bunch of rainbow chard
1 tbs. of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (if you are trying this on the LID make sure the olives you get do not have sea salt or iodized salt in them or leave them out)
1 tbs grated lemon zest(I left this out)
2 tbs. lemon juice
1/2 cup crumbled tofu (try marinated for a bit more flavor, but do not use tofu if making for LID)
1. Cook Orzo according to package
2. Heat 1 1/2 Tbs. oil in large dutch oven (or skillet) over medium heat. Add onion and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in kale and chard and cook 4 to 5 min or until wilted tossing often with tongs. Drizzle vinegar, stir in olives and remove from heat.
3. Mix together orzo and greens in a large serving bowl. Stir in remaining 3 tbs. of oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and tofu, and season with salt (non-iodized if on LID) and pepper if desired.
Ginger, Quinoa Salad with Apples, Peas and coconut (from Vegetarian Times magazine)
1/3 cup chopped almonds
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 cup quinoa (I used red
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbs minced fresh ginger (0r 1 tbs of crushed)
1 1/2 cups carrot or beet-carrot juice (used Naked Carrot juice)
1 cup frozen peas
1 medium apples diced
1/3 cup unsweetend shredded coconut
1. Toast almonds 3 to 5 min. Cool.
3. Stir in ginger, quinoa, and juice and season with salt (non-iodized if using for LID) and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover reduce heat to medium/low and simmer 15 to 20 min or until liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and scatter peas over cooked quinoa. Cover and let stand 10 min, until peas are thawed.
5. Stir apple, coconut, and almonds into salad. Serve warm or at room temperature!
I accidentally cooked the quinoa before adding it to the carrot juice mixture, but it didn’t matter. It tasted great! This recipe is 100% LID material too
Tomorrow I go in for some blood work to make sure the higher dosage of my thyroid medication is doing it’s job and suppressing my levels enough. I hope it’s working!